Operating within British Horseracing Regulations Level 4 Learning Programme
This learning programme has been designed for those who work in any role which requires them to conform to the Rules of Racing, understand the regulatory requirements of the British Horseracing Authority (BHA) and be familiar with the structure of the racing or Thoroughbred Breeding industries. Learners taking this award should be operating autonomously and be confident in their decision-making abilities that will impact on their current or future role within the industry.
The Learning Programme comprises a series of tasks based on the Learning Outcomes below, which will be completed through research and self-study. Learners will be allocated a mentor, who will guide them through the process and provide links to recommended websites, suitable short courses and suggested reading.
1. Understand the licensing procedures in relation to specific job roles
2. Know how to access the BHA Rules of Racing and General Instructions, and explain how they should be applied to specific job roles
3. Understand the importance of integrity of the sport and the regulatory procedures relating to this
4. Understand the individual responsibilities relating to integrity and doping control
5. Understand race-day operations in relation to specific job roles
6. Understand the principles of handicapping
7. Understand the structure of the racing and Thoroughbred Breeding industries
8. Understand the principles of horse registrations and pedigree analysis
9. Understand the importance of safe working practices in the industry
10. Support BHA education initiatives including safeguarding and integrity
Applications can be made to the National Horseracing College (the approved centre), who will process the registration and issue a learner portfolio. On completion of the learner portfolio, an application can be made for assessment. This is conducted through portfolio review followed by a Professional Discussion with a panel of sector specialists/assessors appointed by the BHA. Learners who do not attain the required standard will be provided with guidance to undertake further learning before applying for reassessment.
For details of how to apply for this Learning Programme, please contact any of the following: