Management of the Education, Training and Development of Young Thoroughbred Horses Level 4 Learning Programme
This learning programme has been designed for those who are involved in the training and education of young Thoroughbred horses and are in a position of responsibility for horses, staff and connections. Learners taking this award should be operating autonomously and be confident in their decision-making abilities that will impact on their current or future role within the industry. This learning programme focuses on the pre-training (backing and riding away) of young Thoroughbred horses, be this at a stud, pre-training yard or training yard.
The Learning Programme comprises a series of tasks based on the Learning Outcomes below, which will be completed through research and self-study. Learners will be allocated a mentor, who will guide them through the process and provide links to recommended websites, suitable short courses and suggested reading.
1. Plan the training and education of young Thoroughbred horses in preparation for pre-racing performance
2. Manage the training of young horses by developing suitable training programmes
3. Identify and assess personnel in order to engage those most suitable trained, experienced and/or qualified to conduct the early education/pre-training process
4. Oversee and evaluate the horse's progress throughout and agree and implement any modifications to the training programme as appropriate
5. Maintain relevant legal and regulatory records
6. Assess hazards and control risks to environment, horses and people in connection with training and education of young horses
7. Implement and promote safe working practices
8. Conform to the BHA Equine Welfare Strategy as appropriate
Applications can be made to the National Horseracing College (the approved centre), who will process the registration and issue a learner portfolio. On completion of the learner portfolio, an application can be made for assessment. This is conducted through portfolio review followed by a Professional Discussion with a panel of sector specialists/assessors appointed by the BHA. Learners who do not attain the required standard will be provided with guidance to undertake further learning before applying for reassessment.
For details of how to apply for this Learning Programme, please contact any of the following: