Management of a Thoroughbred Stallion Level 4 Learning Programme
This learning programme has been designed for individuals who are responsible for managing a stallion on a commercial Thoroughbred stud and are in a position of responsibility for horses, staff and connections. It covers a range of processes and policies relating to organisational and business requirements. Learners taking this award should be operating autonomously and be confident in their decision-making abilities that will impact on their current or future role within the industry.
The Learning Programme comprises a series of tasks based on the Learning Outcomes below, which will be completed through research and self-study. Learners will be allocated a mentor, who will guide them through the process and provide links to recommended websites, suitable short courses and suggested reading.
1. Develop and implement a strategy to purchase a thoroughbred stallion, based on an evaluation of trends and demand
2. Develop and implement a business plan for the stallion including an ownership strategy
3. Develop and implement an organisational structure for the ongoing management of the stallion (monitor results and respond accordingly)
4. Make suitable arrangements for the care and day-to-day management of the stallion
5. Develop and implement an ongoing strategy for the promotion of the stallion
6. Optimise financial security for the owners of the stallion
7. Assess hazards and control risks to environment, horses and people in connection with stud work and breeding operations
8. Implement safe working practices
9. Conform to the BHA Equine Welfare Strategy as appropriate
Applications can be made to the National Horseracing College (the approved centre), who will process the registration and issue a learner portfolio. On completion of the learner portfolio, an application can be made for assessment. This is conducted through portfolio review followed by a Professional Discussion with a panel of sector specialists/assessors appointed by the BHA. Learners who do not attain the required standard will be provided with guidance to undertake further learning before applying for reassessment.
For details of how to apply for this Learning Programme, please contact any of the following: